You Can Help a Desperate Writer!

If you are a parent, you know that there’s nothing you wouldn’t do for your kids. You watch hours of Sponge Bob, pretend to like asparagus, clean up vomit, pinch pennies for that new pair of Sketchers, and read Pat the Bunny for the millionth time. You lose sleep, become poor, skip showers and personal hygiene rituals, ponder their needs at all hours of the day and night, and pray like you’ve never prayed before.

But what would you do if you were unable to give your children what they need? I’m not talking about not having enough money to take them to the movies and buy pizza because gas went up, again. I mean physically not able to provide for them- becoming completely dependent upon the goodwill of strangers and friends to care for your family?

Well, one of our own knows intimately what it feels like to stare into little eyes and be unable to quell the tears staining your beloved child’s face.  Lori Hall Steele is a gifted freelance writer and single mother to seven-year-old Jack. Last fall, Lori was stricken with inexplicable paralysis that slowly spread throughout her body.  Currently, Lori is confined to a hospital bed. She has been diagnosed with a severe case of Lyme’s Disease, and possibly ALS.

This once vibrant woman is now paralyzed– dependent on a type of ventilator to breath normally, and a staff of health care givers to meet even her most basic needs. She is unable to work or care for her son.

To add to this tragedy, Lori is now in danger of losing her home to foreclosure.  Adding insult to injury, since she is a freelancer, she has no health insurance and is amassing large hospital bills by the hour.

In her Washington Post article, Not Out of the Woods: A Boy and ‘Bambi’, Lori writes about her then four-year-old son, Jack, who asks:

“Will you look after me when I’m a grown-up?”
I tell him I’ll always be here for him, one way or another. Always always always. Just like my mother is here for me. Just like I was there when he was 3. It is an impossible promise, a gamble with his trust. I secretly pray I don’t let him down, not on this.

Lori wrote those prophetic words three years ago, before her illness began, before becoming a single mother, before she faced losing everything to a disease that is out of her control.

Helping Lori

We now have the chance to make a difference in the life of a bright freelance writer and loving mother desperately in need of assistance.

The freelance writing community is getting involved, and we challenge you to get involved as well. Her friends have set up a blog about Lori, and freelance writers Kristen Hains, Jane Boursaw, and Rachel Weingarten have put up a website to help save Lori’s House. Renegade Writer has issued a blog-a-thon challenge to benefit Lori as well.

How Can You Help?

• Spread the word about Lori. Send emails, blog about Lori, change your Facebook page.
  • Donate to Save Lori’s House. (even $5 will help if we all pitch in)
  • Email Michigan Senators (see links below)
  • PRAY for Lori, Jack, her family, and the doctors and nurses caring for her. Start your local prayer chains, sponsor a prayer vigil, or add Lori to your church’s prayer list. Pray earnestly and pray often.

Everyone can do something. Please, help support a fellow freelance writer and her little boy.

Blue Duck Copy will be praying for Lori every hour, on the hour during business hours and several times during down time.  Please join with us in praying for Lori’s recovery. There is tremendous power in prayer. “The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” –James 5:16b. Another translation of the Bible states, “ When a believing person prays, great things happen.”

We will also be donating one half of the business’ weekly tithe to Lori’s fund every week until she is back on her feet. I encourage you to do the same if you feel led to help.

If you don’t have a PayPal account, you can mail letters, cards of encouragement, and donations to:

Lori Hall Steele
c/o Denali & Co.
Po Box 1015
Traverse City, MI 49685

More Ways to Help

According to Lori’s website:

You can read more updates on Lori’s condition here: http://www.hallsteele.blogspot.com or a great piece  on Lori’s story here: Can friends and a website save a sick woman’s house?

To find out how you can help, write to Jane Boursaw: Jane@savelorishouse.com or Kristen Hains Kristen@savelorishouse.com

Join the FaceBook group here http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=27262941938&ref=mf

Lori puts a human face on the current mortgage and inadequate healthcare crises facing our nation. If you’re a member of the press interested in doing a story on Lori please contact Rachel Weingarten:   rachel@shoutoutpr.com or Erin D. erin@bigbocapr.com

Buzz it up – story about Lori on Yahoo

Read the press release

Tell a friend, forward the link, if you live in Michigan call your local congressperson to spread the word.

Give a little or a lot to help save Lori’s house!
Write to Congressman Dave Camp here and ask him to help champion Lori’s cause.

Write to Senator Jason Allen to encourage him to help out too!

17 Responses to You Can Help a Desperate Writer!
  1. Writer Dad
    September 24, 2008 | 5:13 pm

I’m on it.

2. Writer Dad
    September 24, 2008 | 1:13 pm

I’m on it.

3. Writer Dad
    September 24, 2008 | 5:15 pm

The donate button is not working. I will return. Thanks.

Writer Dads last blog post..Farewell

4. Writer Dad
    September 24, 2008 | 1:15 pm

The donate button is not working. I will return. Thanks.

Writer Dads last blog post..Farewell

5. Jamie Simmerman
    September 24, 2008 | 5:35 pm

I am so sorry about that Sean, I just fixed it and clicked through. It’s up and running now! Thanks for your patience and thanks for supporting Lori.

September 24, 2008 | 1:35 pm

7. Want to do something good? — Blogger Dad
    September 25, 2008 | 2:45 am

[…] Hall Steele’s battle with ALS. Rather than waste more of your time with my rambling, just go here and then go here. If your heart doesn’t break and you aren’t moved to action, then you […]

8. Matthew Dryden
    September 25, 2008 | 5:48 am

I will send my support.

Matthew Drydens last blog post..Time Flies Like An Arrow

9. CK Lunchbox
    September 25, 2008 | 2:03 pm

I totally understand and will do what I can!

CK Lunchboxs last blog post..Incredible House Defies Hurricane Ike

10. CK Lunchbox
    September 25, 2008 | 10:03 am

I totally understand and will do what I can!

CK Lunchboxs last blog post..Incredible House Defies Hurricane Ike

11. Lance
    October 14, 2008 | 2:26 am

Thanks for sharing this Jamie, I’ll do what I can to help…

Lance´s last spectacular blog post..Life’s A Balancing Act

12. Lance
    October 13, 2008 | 10:26 pm

Thanks for sharing this Jamie, I’ll do what I can to help…

Lance´s last spectacular blog post..Life’s A Balancing Act

13. Jamie Simmerman
    October 14, 2008 | 2:39 am

Hi Lance, thanks for supporting Lori. Every prayer and every penny helps.

October 13, 2008 | 10:39 pm

Hi Lance, thanks for supporting Lori. Every prayer and every penny helps.

15. Beth
    November 21, 2008 | 5:11 pm

November 19, 2008.

Today Lori Hall Steele passed on to continue her destiny after a long hard battle with ALS/Lyme Disease. She left her smile and her laughter imprinted in the hearts of the people that love her and those who randomly met her throughout life. Her friends Kristin/Jane were able to start a grassroots movement that raised over 70k to help pay for her medical care and to save her home for her greatest legacy her son Jackson. Remember today to share her smile and laughter with those you might meet and with those whom you love.

16. Beth