Red Sky at Night: Writer’s Delight

Red Sky at Night... from my front yard.

Every writer needs a source of inspiration. Even when you write for SEO companies and are handed a list of keywords, specifications, and sometimes even an content outline to flesh out, you still need inspiration to get your through the tedious projects. For many of you, this is NaNoWriMo time, and you’ll be needing an extra helping of inspiration to get through the next four weeks. This is my contribution to your honorable endeavor.

We All Have a Muse

Many writers claim to have a muse; a special person who inspires their creative juices even in a dry spell. Matthew Dryden has a muse. Sean has Daisy. James and Harry spur each other to creative heights. Havi will tell you to get in touch with body and breath for great balance and inspiration.

For some of us, that writer’s inspiration comes from the most unlikely places. You may get your best ideas while jamming to rap music, or painting a beautiful picture. James Chartrand thinks best when driving in the car or while skating on a frozen pond. For me, I think best outside. Under the stars, in the middle of a pasture field, deep in a pine forest, or watching water flow. I especially love water, and ducks. 🙂

Power and Beauty

The Christmas after my grandfather passed away, our family packed up and took an unheard of vacation. We piled in the car and drove to the Outer Banks. We arrived late at night, during high tide. It was storming and the moon was full. Those waves crashed against the sand with such force that my whole body trembled. I was 14 and it was the first time I saw the ocean. Such intense power and beauty overwhelmed me and I wept right there on the pier.

Beginning Passion

Later that night, I met my older cousin who was dark and disturbed. He carried a notebook with him filled with poetry and song lyrics. He was more than happy to introduce me to Edgar Allen Poe, Jim Morrison, and Emily Dickinson. That was the first spark that ignited my passion for writing.

I spent many hours walking between the violent ocean waves and the serenity of the sound near Duck and Nag’s Head. I watched in awe as wild horses galloped on the shores, and ducks floated peacefully in the reeds growing in the sound. It was raw beauty, and its power haunts my dreams to this day.

First Love

Back at home, I spent many nights on the shores of the nearby river. Countless times, I would stay up till dawn playing Euchre and hooking carp and catfish by the light of a flashlight. It was on that muddy river bank that I shared my first kiss.

Healing, Looking Ahead, and Meeting my Creator

A little farther down the road, I hooked up with a crew who liked to party at the local lake. They would drink and make out in the dark while I found a quiet place to sneak off and listen to the waves on the rocks. I thought about my life, my past, and my future. The sound of moving water was an instant balm for my injured spirit. It was there that I met God, up close and personal.

Getting Personal

All of those intense experiences are deeply rooted in nature. It’s where I draw my inspiration. It’s how I recharge and gather my thoughts. Just me and God under an open sky. (In case you are wondering, yes Oktober, that picture above is one of mine.) I have been hesitant to share my photos or my personal life, but the place was looking a little cold and clinical. It’s time to open up and share my stories and delights with all of you.

Pull up a chair, let me pour you a cup of coffee and we’ll share some memories together.

What inspires you to write?

Where do you draw your creative energy from?

What did you do under the open sky as an emerging adult? (And if Dave Fowler stops by, try to keep it G rated, we’re a family-type blog.) 😛

23 Responses to Red Sky at Night: Writer’s Delight
  1. Kool Aid
    November 3, 2008 | 12:57 pm

Amazing picture! I love it. I’m like you in that I enjoy getting out into nature. I’m not a writer, I’m more of a visual artist, but the inspiration is still there.

I grew up at the beach, so it’s strange for me to think that people haven’t seen the ocean before, but there’s something inspiring about walking along at night with the moonglow on the sand.

Thanks for sharing your moment.

Kool Aid´s last spectacular blog post..Halloween

2. Kool Aid
    November 3, 2008 | 8:57 am

Thanks for sharing your moment.

Kool Aid´s last spectacular blog post..Halloween

3. Jamie Simmerman
    November 3, 2008 | 1:55 pm

Hi Kool Aid, I disagree with you. You write from your heart on your blog. That qualifies as a legit “writer” in my book. 🙂

BTW, I would homeschool in a minute if my hubby would agree to it. I hope everything works out for Monkey. 😉

November 3, 2008 | 9:55 am

5. Kool Aid
    November 3, 2008 | 2:01 pm

Thanks Jamie! I appreciate that. Maybe one of these days I’ll actually try and write something other than tales from the family.

6. Kool Aid
    November 3, 2008 | 10:01 am

7. Oktober Five
    November 3, 2008 | 2:35 pm

The picture is fantastic! And it is the same with me: Nature gives me a recharge. It’s unfortunate that I live in the middle of a city, but I’ve definitely gotten my money’s worth at the local park. I especially love the sky and clouds.

I remember liking to write on occasion when I was in high school, but it was after college that I really discovered what an adventure it was to create with the written word.

8. Oktober Five
    November 3, 2008 | 10:35 am

9. Lance
    November 3, 2008 | 6:00 pm

Nature is where I draw much of my writing energy from as well. It does have to be the right nature scene – one where I can become reflective – and usually ends up being when I get out for a bike ride in the early morning hours. The bike path is quiet, the sun is just coming up. Many ideas have been spurred in these moments. I think it’s because I’m not distracted by all the “noise” that is usually going on in my life – and so I’m able to connect with myself on a deeper level. So now the question is – how can I continue to do this now that I’m going to be putting the bike away for the winter?? Hmmm….

Oh, and that’s a very nice picture you’ve taken Jamie – I like it!

Lance´s last spectacular blog post..Guest Post: What’s Your Best Effort?

10. Lance
    November 3, 2008 | 2:00 pm

Oh, and that’s a very nice picture you’ve taken Jamie – I like it!

Lance´s last spectacular blog post..Guest Post: What’s Your Best Effort?

11. Matthew Dryden
    November 4, 2008 | 1:08 am

I don’t just have a muse, I have the Tree. She’s wonderful, I’d highly getting someone just like her.

Matthew Dryden´s last spectacular blog post..November, Jokers, And Rapping, Oh My!

12. Matthew Dryden
    November 3, 2008 | 9:08 pm

13. Jamie Simmerman
    November 5, 2008 | 5:45 pm

Hi Lance, thanks. I was pleased with it when I saw it. That sunset was gorgeous! Can you believe that’s from my front yard? I love living out here. It’s great for a nature lover.

Mathew, thanks for the correction Matthew. We all need a good tree. 😉

November 5, 2008 | 1:45 pm

Mathew, thanks for the correction Matthew. We all need a good tree. 😉

15. Dave Fowler
    November 6, 2008 | 10:12 pm

Under the open sky? Wow. I remember one particular time on a deserted seafront. It was at night time on a shingle beach and there was storm brewing. The breeze was just whipping up, but it was warm against my skin. I was with a beautiful girl and I leaned in to kiss her as the sea spray lightly caught our faces making us glisten in the moonlight. But that’s where the story ends I’m afraid. It gets a bit saucy after that.

My inspiration comes from my emotions, particularly the extremes and usually the things that bring me joy.

Don’t think I wouldn’t notice. Haha. I’m way behind on my reading. My commenting is non-existent but I’m still watching! 🙂

Dave Fowler´s last spectacular blog post..Internet connection problems – Part 2

16. Dave Fowler
    November 6, 2008 | 6:12 pm

Dave Fowler´s last spectacular blog post..Internet connection problems – Part 2

17. Jamie Simmerman
    November 6, 2008 | 10:35 pm

Hi Dave,

I’m glad you found a spare minute. I can relate to being behind. I think there are things growing legs in my fridge, and I have a pile of magazine queries collecting dust and becoming outdated as we speak.

Your story gives me chills. Thanks for sharing it and keeping it G-rated. 🙂 Maybe you should expand your repertoire and write smut for those romance novels?

Makes me want to pack my bags and head for the ocean. (The ocean, not the make-out session.);)

November 6, 2008 | 6:35 pm

Hi Dave,

19. Dave Fowler
    November 8, 2008 | 8:07 am

Thanks Jamie, I don’t think I’ll be packing up my day job just yet. Oh wait, I don’t have one. 😀

‘Dave Fowler – Writer of Smut’

Has a certain ring to it!

🙂

Dave Fowler´s last spectacular blog post..Why Cleaning Your Toilet Could Be Bad For Your Children’s Health

20. Dave Fowler
    November 8, 2008 | 4:07 am

‘Dave Fowler – Writer of Smut’

Has a certain ring to it!

🙂

21. Jamie Simmerman
    November 8, 2008 | 2:45 pm

You could be the Steaming Smut Slinger. It could be huge. Book deals, movie scripts, logo apparel,even your own action figure.

Wait, that last one crosses the line. 🙂

November 8, 2008 | 10:45 am

Wait, that last one crosses the line. 🙂

23. Guitar Brands
    May 16, 2012 | 3:54 pm

click to read…

[…]the time to read or visit the content or sites we have linked to below the[…]…